[Pw_forum] installation&usage of PWscf

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Fri Mar 4 09:31:54 CET 2005

On Mar 4, 2005, at 8:40 AM, Анна Владимировна wrote:

> Dear developers, i have a few questions conserning the installation and
> potentialities
> of the PWscf program:
> 1)Can it be installed on PC computer under Windows, using any Unix
> emulator?

this question seems to contradict question no 4. I wonder how can
anybody even think to do a "serious" calulation using windows

> 2)Does this program make all calculations from the first principles or
> it can
> afford to
> input certain data on the interim increments of calculus?

I am not sure to understant what "interim increments of calculus"
exactly means ...

> 3)Can this program make fitting to the experiment?

this is not a data analysis code. It is a scientific code, though. And
its results can (and actually should) be compared with experiments.

> 4)Are there any serious calculations made using PWscf and compared to
> experiment?

see above

> 5)Wich initial data does it need?

atomic positions and chemical composition

> 6)Does it make a symmetry analysis?

yes

> 7)Are there any restrictions on the ammount of atoms in the primitive
> cell?

no

You are most welcome

SB

PS: by the way, most of the questions you are asking are answered in
the (admittedly poor) documentation which comes with the code and/or in
the archives of our mailing list which can be accessed from the
pwscf.org web page.