[Pw_forum] Simulated annealing

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Tue Jul 26 18:02:38 CEST 2005

Yet another bit of clarification:

On Jul 26, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 17:26, Yonas Abraham wrote:
>

>> One way is to use cp.x (Car-Parrinello MD) that comes
>> with the espresso package. The simple step would be
>>
>> -minimize the wavefunction
>> -minimize the geometry
>> -heat the system
>> -turn the temperature off and let the geometry relax

This is not quite "simulated annealing", but rather "simulated
quenching". Simulated annealing requires a real-time control of
temperature (not just "on/off") which I do not know if it is
available in either code, but which should be not so difficult to
implement, should anyone be interested.

SB

>> But I don't know if there is such thing on the pw.x.
>>

> just a clarification: simulated annealing is something distinct
> from Car-Parrinello dynamics. The above steps can be performed
> either with "Born-Oppenheimer" dynamics (i.e. with electrons
> always on the ground state) or with Car-Parrinello dynamics
> (i.e. with an additional dynamics on electrons that keeps them
> close to the groung state). The latter case is not implemented
> in PWscf: one has to use either CP or FPMD, both part of the
> quantum-espresso distribution.
>
> Also note that temperature control in the current release of
> PWscf is not very sophisticated.
>
> Paolo
> --
> Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it
> Scuola Normale Superiore    Phone:   +39/050-509876, Fax:-563513
> Piazza dei Cavalieri 7      I-56126 Pisa, Italy

---
Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
Trieste
[+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) / stefanobaroni (skype)