[Pw_forum] problems while running examples in LAM-MPI

yay451 at mail.usask.ca yay451 at mail.usask.ca
Sat Jul 9 21:04:12 CEST 2005

Dear PWscf users,
     I got a problem in running examples.  My machine is a 128-cpu Beowulf
cluster. I installed ifc 8.1 and LAM-MPI 7.1.1 yesterday.  Examples can be
executed in single processor. But when I try to run them on multiple CPUs, they
always finishes in error. For the use of LAM-MPI, I modified hostfile myself to
assign 6 nodes and used lamboot command.The output files look like this:

/home/yao/newproject/espresso-2.1.4/examples/example02 : starting

This example shows how to use pw.x and ph.x to calculate phonon
frequencies at Gamma and X for Si, C in diamond structure and fcc-Ni.

  executables directory: /home/yao/newproject/espresso-2.1.4/bin
  pseudo directory:      /home/yao/newproject/espresso-2.1.4/pseudo
  temporary directory:   /home/yao/tmp

  checking that needed directories and files exist... done

  running pw.x as: mpirun C /home/yao/newproject/espresso-2.1.4/bin/pw.x
  running ph.x as: mpirun C /home/yao/newproject/espresso-2.1.4/bin/ph.x

  cleaning /home/yao/tmp... done
  running the scf
calculation...-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the processes started by mpirun has exited with a nonzero exit
code.  This typically indicates that the process finished in error.
If your process did not finish in error, be sure to include a "return
0" or "exit(0)" in your C code before exiting the application.

PID 8005 failed on node n1 (192.168.20.1) with exit status 1.

   Could anyone be so kind to tell me what is wrong here? I guess there is sth.
wrong in my configuration of LAM-MPI. I appreciate if you could tell me a
little bit about how to configure LAM-MPI. By the way, mpich is also installed
by the root user; I am not sure whether this is also a problem.
   Thank you very much!
                                     Yansun Yao
                                 Department of Physics
                                University of Saskatchewan