[Pw_forum] more about phonon frequencies are different when treated as insulator or metal

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Jan 11 12:23:30 CET 2005

when trying to describe Si as a metal what kind of smearing are you using ?
Methfessel and Paxton or gaussian  or something else ?
MP scheme, although in principle"better" than gaussain  for *real*
metals, suffers
of the fact that the corresponding occupation function is not positive
definite.
Usually this is not a problem with many k-points but may give spurious
results
with few points and a small degauss....
Try simple gaussian or Marzari-Vanderbilt cold smearing scheme that combines
a nice (lack of) dependence of the results on the smearing width and a
positive definite
occupation.

Stefano de Gironcoli