[Pw_forum] phonon frequencies are different when treated as insulator(semiconductor) and metal

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Mon Jan 10 11:56:37 CET 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 04:36, W. YU wrote:

> I am doing phonon dispersion calculations for a simple
> cubic system Cu3N. My band structure calculation has
> confirmed it is a semiconductor with a gap of about
> 0.15ev. [...] I still got different results when I treat it
> differently as metal or as insulator(semiconductor).

>     occupations = 'smearing', degauss = 0.02 ,
>     smearing = 'methfessel-paxton'

the smearing "degauss" is in Rydberg (the documentation
is not very clear on this point). With a gap of 0.15 eV and a
broadening of 0.3 eV or so, your charge density will contain
some contribution from conduction bands, so there will be
some small differences with respect to the insulator case.

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it