[Pw_forum] calculation = "nscf" with CP

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Fri Dec 23 16:26:23 CET 2005

On Friday 23 December 2005 00:09, Young-Su Lee wrote:

> ver 2.0 ==========================================
>                 total energy =       -8.07495 a.u.
> [...]
> ver 3.0 ==========================================
>                 total energy =       -8.07495 Hartree a.u.

I don't really see a problem here. The error on the total energy is a
quadratic function of the error on the charge density. This is not true
for the single pieces composing the total energy, so the latter will
be more sensitive than the total energy to lack of self-consistency.
The average potential, in particular, is very sensitive to errors because
gradient-corrected functionals have a nasty numerical behavior for
\rho=>0

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it