[Pw_forum] question on ecutwfc and ecutrho

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Dec 6 09:27:53 CET 2005

When using US pseudopotentials cutoff for rho is usually much largere
than 4 times the cutoff for wfc.

ecutwfc and ecutrho are properties of the pseudopotentials not of the
particular structure.

Choose a simple structure and compute etot vs ecutwfc keeping ecutrho at
the default value.
look for convergence of total energy down to about a mryd/atom.
at this point the choice (ecutwfc, ecutrho=4ecutwfc) is a good set but
probably ecutwfc could be chosen
smaller with no loss of accuracy.
fix ecutrho to the determined value and progressively reduce ecutwfc to
see up to where you can go.

stefano
 From your data I cannot tell, it is usually better to change one
parameter at a time.
Probably ecutrho=288 is fine  and and 32-35 is ok for ecutwfc while 24
is not.