[Pw_forum] parallelization issue

Giacomo Saielli giacomo.saielli at unipd.it
Tue Oct 26 10:10:37 CEST 2004

Dear  Eyvaz and Paolo,
thank you very much for your comments.
In particular, Paolos' paper, Table IV report a time for cp step, T_i,
of 3700 sec, 16 procs on SP3, system of 900 electrons, spin-unrestricted
calculation. Then I guess that we can estimate roughly a half (1800 sec)
for the same calculation spin-restricted, which would become about
700-800 secs per time step if it were on SP4. Since I have about 600
electrons instead of 900, this time would be reduced again to about
400-500 or so? Then what I have found (1800secs/cp step) is about 4
times larger than expected based on this very approximate estimate.
However I have used somewhat larger cutoffs than needed, as suggested by
Paolo. Maybe I can improve the performance playing with these parameters.
Thank you again,
best wishes,
Giacomo

--
Giacomo Saielli
Istituto per la Tecnologia delle Membrane del CNR, Sezione di Padova;