[Pw_forum] About NON COLLINEAR magnetism

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed Oct 20 13:41:41 CEST 2004

Dear Xianghjun:

the present version of PWscf cannot deal with spin spirals. An old
version of it actually did. You may want to get in touch with Ralph
Gebauer (rgebauer at ictp.trieste.it) for more details on the actual
availability of that old version. Even better, you may want to
volunteer and patch the routines for spirals contained in that old
version into the new one ;-) Some details that you may find interesting
(along with some nice ideas on magnon dynamics, constrained DFT, etc.)
are contained in Ralph's PhD thesis, available on the web at URL
www.cecam.fr

Concerning J, the best way to calculate it is by constrained DFT. What
ought to be done is to calculate the energy difference between
configurations in which the magnetic moments on neighboring atoms are
constrained to different directions, and then fit the results to kind
of a Heisenberg model. Again, constrained DFT used to be implemented in
PWscf in the past, using the penalty function technique that is
described e.g. in Ralph's thesis. If it is no longer implemented, it
would be very easy to re-implement it.

Hope this helps
Yours, Stefano B