[Pw_forum] Installing PWSCF

Gerardo Ballabio g.ballabio at cineca.it
Thu Oct 7 11:01:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:36, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Lee Tiong Seng Norman wrote:
> NL> ./configure F90=g95 CC=gcc LIBDIRS="/home/norman/ATLAS/lib/Linux_P4SSE2 /home/norman/FFTW/fftw-2.1.5/fftw /usr/lib" CFLAGS="-lm -lg2c"
> NL>
> NL> the outcome is as follows
> NL>
> NL> checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> NL> checking architecture... linux32
> NL> checking for g95... g95
> NL> checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name... configure: error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables
> NL> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> this is probably not a problem of the fortran 77 compiler, but
> the result of some incompatible library or linker flags.

Actually, if configure stops this early, that's definitely a problem of
the fortran compiler. Your g95 seems not to be working correctly.

> NL> 2. When I used F90=g77, it was successful, but after keying in "make all" the outcome was as follows..
> NL>
> NL> (after a whole bunch of commands)
> NL> ar: avrec.o: No such file or directory
> NL> make[1]: *** [flib.a] Error 1
> NL> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/norman/espresso/flib'
> NL> make: *** [libs] Error 2
> NL>
> NL> can anyone help? Much appreciated.
>
> espresso needs a usable fortran 90/95 compiler. i doubt that
> g95 in anywhere near what is needed.

In fact, g95 is capable to build PWscf/ESPRESSO and has been for a few
months. However the best supported compiler is Intel's, for a safe bet
you should go with it.

Gerardo