[Pw_forum] RE: Pw_forum digest, Vol 1 #456 - 2 msgs

Timothy A.V. Teatro timtro at rogers.com
Thu Nov 18 18:13:21 CET 2004

Hi Aaron. Thank you very much for responding.

Yes, I have tried a more physically phesable distance. I initially had
it set at <0.25, 0.25, 0.25>, which I am assuming should also lead to
zero force, since the PBC's would create a 0k lattice right? So I'm
thinking great, now let's move it in slightly to perturb the system and
create some vibration. But no matter where I moved the second Si atom,
it didn't help.

I want to thank you again very much. I have attached the output file you
requested.

>From Aaron:
Hi Timothy,

Just some thoughts on your job... Have you tried a more physical
distance
between the two Si atoms?  It can be very difficult to optimize the
electronic wavefunction when they are almost right on top of each other.

Also from what I understand, the procedure can be to fix the atoms,
optimize the electronic wavefunction (e-kinetic energy goes to
approximately zero) and then begin with moving the ions (in fact this
becomes more than one input file).
Finally if you can show your output we can more correctly diagnose your
problem(s).

I hope this helps,

Aaron

Message: 2