[Pw_forum] Grid differences between machines - why?

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Mar 12 08:56:43 CET 2004

The code choose automatically the smallest grid that is compatible with
the specified cutoff AND is a legal value for the FFT library used.

Different FFT libraries have different allowed FFT dimensions and this
may give different numbers on different machines.

This also makes the energy slightly different on different machines: the
only piece that depends explicitely on the grid parameters is the XC
part of the energy that is computed numerically on the grid. The
difference should be small, expecially for LDA calculations.

In order to make an exact comparison between different machines one can
specify in the &system name list common values for nr1, nr2,nr3 (and if
needed nr1s, nr2s, nr3s).
Then the results on different machines should be exactly equivalent.

Stefano de Gironcoli