[Pw_forum] non collinear magnetism

Cyrille Barreteau cbarreteau at cea.fr
Thu Jun 3 09:26:01 CEST 2004

dear pwscf users,

I have a question concerning non-collinear magnetism and
example 13. In the two cases fe.pen.in and fe.angl.in
the system is made of a simple bcc iron with only one atom per
unit cell, therefore I do not really see the meaning of
non-collinear magnetism.
If there is no spin-orbit all direction are equivalent and therefore
the direction of magnetization is arbitrary. In that case I do not
understand the meaning of imposing a spin direction...
By the way is spin-orbit implemented in pwscf?

There is surely a point that I am missing. Maybe the code is doing
a spin wave calculation with a given wave length and uses the generalized
Bloch theorem...

thanks in advance

     cyrille

    | Cyrille Barreteau           |  phone:+33 (0)1 69 08 29 51  |
    | CEA Saclay                  |                              |
    | DSM/DRECAM/SPCSI            |  fax : +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46  |
    | Batiment 462                |                              |
    | 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  |  email: cbarreteau at cea.fr    |
    | FRANCE                      |                              |
    |    web : http://www-drecam.cea.fr/spcsi/groupe1.htm        |