[Pw_forum] CVS information

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Wed Jan 14 17:19:50 CET 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 13:19, Jonathan Breeze wrote:

> I keep hearing about CVS and the possibility of keeping up to date with
> most recent versions of the code.
> What do I need to do in order to take advantage of CVS ???

see the file README.cvs (attached) that comes with the PWscf distribution.
CVS tutorial: http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/cvs-tut/ . A few notes on what
can happen when you update:

---------
Update to the latest release: "cvs update"
You should get lines looking like

> cvs server: Updating Modules
> P Modules/Makefile
> U Modules/control_flags.f90

where P means "patched", U means "Updated" (a new file is added); or

> M PW/Makefile

where M means locally modified wrt the CVS repository version; or

> ? CPV/intel.pcl

meaning that cvs knows nothing about such file; or

> cvs server: FPMD/control_flags.f90 is no longer in the repository

meaning that these files are no longer in the repository; but no lines like

> C Somedir/SomeFile
> cvs server: conflict while updating Somedir/SomeFile

This means that somebody else has modified the same parts of the code
that you have locally modified; conflicting files will contain lines like

>    something
>    something else
---------

Paolo