[Pw_forum] occupation problem when system changes from insulator to metal

aaron at nemo.physics.ncsu.edu aaron at nemo.physics.ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 14 11:54:11 CET 2004

You will know when to implement the smearing, as the pressure increases,
at some point the system may have difficulty reaching self consistency.

What follows are some references on the subject:

    * The free energy for different smearing schemes:
      S. de Gironcoli, Phys. Rev. B 51, 6773 (1995).
    * Gaussian-Hermite smearing
      M. Methfessel and A.T. Paxton, Phys. Rev. B 40, 3616 (1989)
    * An extensive presentation of different treatments, and the "cold
      smearing" technique
      N. Marzari, PhD dissertation, U. of Cambridge (1996).
      Available at http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~marzari
      N. Marzari et al, Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 3296 (1999).