[Pw_forum] Convergence of forces

sbraccia carlo sbraccia at sissa.it
Sun Apr 25 18:16:26 CEST 2004

On Sunday 25 April 2004 04:00 pm, Sergei Lisenkov wrote:
> Dear PWscf authors and users,
>
> I performed the relaxation of the structure using PWscf. I looked into
> output file for forces convergence:

>      Total force =     0.002421     Total SCF correction =     0.001485
>
>      bfgs converged in  10 scf cycles and   8 bfgs steps
>
> By default,  convergence threshold on forces is 1.d-3 (a.u). But the value
> of the total force is bigger than this threshold. May be, there is another
> criterion for the total relaxation than forces?
>
> Thank you very much,
>  Best wishes,
>   Sergey

Dear Sergey,
the convergence threshold on forces is evaluated on each component of the
force acting on each atom: when all the components are less the the
threshold, convergence is achieved. Instead Total force is the norm of the
global force vector (a 3N dimensional vector) that, being a quantity that
depends on the number of atoms involved, is not suited to be used for test
pourpose (unless you divide that number by SQRT(3N)).
carlo sbraccia