[Pw_forum] Large files

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 19:26:54 CEST 2004

--- Mickael Profeta <profeta at sissa.it> wrote:

> may you try to produce a file bigger than 2Gb with pw, and tell us if
> you manage or not? I would really like to know where the limitation
> stands? On the library of the linux distribution (I know the problem
> exist on RedHat 7.3) on the compiler version, or on the way pwscf is
> written.

 The limitation is probably within the pwscf+compiler. Addressing more than 2Gb
with 32-bit programs becomes tricky and needs some sort of larger pointers and
special library calls, adding extra hassles for the programmers. So unless a
32-bit Fortran program is specifically advertised as supporting >2Gb files
under linux, assume that it does not.

 Kostya