[Pw_forum] Question for electron phonon coulping

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Sep 22 14:54:04 CEST 2003

One is interested in the limit for sigma going to zero with infinit
number of k points.
All other numbers are approximations to this results.
How can you judge whether they are good approximations ?
As usual by checking convergence.

Do a calculation with a given set of k points and calculate el-ph as a
function of sigma
Do again the same calculation increasing the number of k-points and the
same set of values for sigma.
You will notice that for sufficiently large values of sigma the two
curves will agrees. This means that
the k-points mesh is sufficiently accurate for sigmas larger than that
but may not be good for smaller values.
Repeating the calculation for even larger set of k-points (same set of
sigma) you will see that from a value
of sigma that is smaller that the previous one the most accurate
calculation (the one using more k-points)
will agree with the second-best (and with the first, less accurate,
calculation when these last two agree)
Trust only the curve in the region in which the calculation is converged
with respect to k-ponts summation.
For sufficiently large set of k-points the SAFE region will approach
enough the limit of sigma going to zero
that you can stop the procedure.

Stefano de Gironcoli