[Pw_forum] Makefile for HP-PA RISC machines

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Sun Sep 14 22:00:26 CEST 2003

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Sergei Lisenkov wrote:

> The question for Authors of PWscf. The cite from HP Fortran manual:"If
> your program does not need to run in 64-bit mode, there is no benefit to
> compiling it in 64-bit mode. In fact, the executable program may run
> slower than if compiled in 32-bit mode." Is it neccesary to compile PW
> in 64-bit mode? I know it gives the all memory that computer has.

if you need more than 2Gb RAM (per process, I think, on parallel
machines), you need to compile in 64-bit mode. Otherwise, you don't.
I think you seldom need it.

Thank you for contributing the Makefile

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it
Scuola Normale Superiore    Phone:   +39/050509412
Piazza dei Cavalieri 7      Fax:     +39/050509417, 050563513
I-56126 Pisa, Italy         Office:  Lab. NEST, Via della Faggiola 19