[Pw_forum] ATLAS question

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Sep 3 10:28:21 CEST 2003

>Dear All,
>does naybody use ATALA librarty version    3.5.6 ?
>I'm asking because theres is no dlamcn.f file therein ( which has to
>be replaced , as said in manual ). Thank you for any comment or if
>somebody has an older version, with which PWscf was already
>successfully compiled ?
>Sergey.

ATLAS contains many but not all routine used by LAPACK.
In the ATLAS/doc/LibReadme.txt you can read the following instruction
that can be usefull in your case:

************************** GETTING A FULL LAPACK LIB
**************************
ATLAS does not provide a full lapack library.  However, there is a
simple way
to get ATLAS to provide its faster LAPACK routines to a full LAPACK library.
ATLAS's internal routines are distinct from LAPACK's, so it is safe to
compile
ATLAS's LAPACK routines directly into a netlib-style LAPACK library.
First, obtain the LAPACK src from netlib and build the LAPACK library as
normal.  Then, in this directory (where you should have a liblapack.a),
issue the following commands:
  mkdir tmp
  cd tmp
  ar x ../liblapack.a
  cp <your LAPACK path & lib> ../liblapack.a
  ar r ../liblapack.a *.o
  cd ..
  rm -rf tmp

Just linking in ATLAS's liblapack.a first will not get you the best LAPACK
performance, mainly because LAPACK's untuned ILAENV will be used instead
of ATLAS's tuned one.

EOF

Stefano de Gironcoli