[Pw_forum] Bonding Energy

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 20:56:10 CEST 2003

Dear Michal,

I have just three comments:
1. You should not use only \Gamma point for small
systems (where number of atoms <10). Rather you have
to use integration via Monkhorst-Pack k-points which
are generated automatically if you enter:

K_POINTS{automatic}
10 10 10
0 0 0

which means that k-points will be generated according
to Monkhorst-Pack schem,  each direction of reciprocal
basis vectors is divided by 10 and there is no shift
of  origin of k-vectors.

2. celldim(i) are given in atomic units, so, if you
have lattice parameter of Pd which is 3.89Angstrom,
you can convert it to atomic unit using
1Ang=1./0.529177, i.e. 3.89Ang=3.89/0.529177 (a.u.)
For cubic structures only celldim(1) is required.

3. Probably, in the second script something is wrong.
You chose fcc lattice within 2 atoms. Sure, this
happens, but I suggest you should consider 2 atoms in
the simple cubic cell (like isolated atoms). If so,
you should vary (increase) cell parameter (celldim(1))
in order get isolated atoms.

Besides your
> ATOMIC_POSITIONS{angstrom}
>  Ni 0.0 0.0 0.0
>  Ni $i  0.0 0.0
looks not correct. You mention {angstrom}, but I
suggest in your case it should be {alat}. Though it
depends on what do you want.

What concerns good (really good) papers I advice
M.C.Payne, M.P.Teter et. al., Reviews of Modern
Physics, 64 (1992), p.1045.
It should be as just starting paper.

Regards,
Eyvaz.