[Pw_forum] PP for transition metal

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Sat Mar 15 11:56:06 CET 2003

Because they are very "hard", i.e. they require a large number of plane
waves to give meaningful results. (this comes from the fact that atomic
d orbitals have a small orbital radius and from the fact that - for an
equal value of the orbital radius - orbitals with a larger angular
monentum require a larger number of plane waves to be represented). If
you are ready to pay the price of a very large kinetic-energy cutoff for
your basis set, there is nothing wrong in using norm-conserving PP's.
Hope this clarifies. Stefano Baroni