[Pw_forum] gold surfaces & convergence

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at nest.sns.it
Tue Jul 1 17:24:02 CEST 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 19:51, Patricia Paredes wrote:
> [...] I want to calculate some adsorbates on gold 111 surfaces

not an easy task

> but i have convergence troubles with the gold slab. I know from
> the cluster HF calculations that metals, and in particular gold, is a
> difficult case. I'd already made some PWSCF calculations with
> cooper, and didn't have any problem.
> One of my inputs file is the following... [...]

>     conv_thr        =  1.0d-10

that's very small. Are you sure you need such a strict convergence?

>     diagonalization =  'diis'

DIIS diagonalization might occasionally give some trouble
(i.e miss the good ground state). Verify that you get the
same results with Davidson or CG.

Paolo

Paolo Giannozzi             e-mail:  giannozz at nest.sns.it
Scuola Normale Superiore    Phone:   +39/050509412
Piazza dei Cavalieri 7      Fax:     +39/050509417, 050563513
I-56126 Pisa, Italy         Office:  Lab. NEST, Via della Faggiola 19