[Pw_forum] Input atomic positions for alpha_Ga structure

ma Yanming yanming_ma at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 19:43:54 CEST 2003

Dear PWSCF users

I have a problem when I tried to input the atomic positions for alpha_Ga
structure. The space group is Cmca in Orthorhombic Cell. The Wyckoff
positions for Ga atoms are in 8f. The 8f positions are the following from
the international Crystallographic Table in conventional settings.
(0, 0, 0) + (1/2, 1/2, 0)

(0, y, z)
(0, - y + 1/2 , z + 1/2 )
(0, y + 1/2 , - z + 1/2 )
(0, - y, - z)
y=0.158
z=0.081

I tried to transform the 8f positions in conventional setting with 8
positions to a primitive cell with 4 positions using the following
transformation matix.
 0.5 0.5 0.0
-0.5 0.5 0.0
 0.0 0.0 1.0
,instead of the bravias lattice for Base centered Orthorhombic structure in
PWSCF,
 a/2 b/c 0.0
-a/2 b/2 0.0
 0.0 0.0 c

The resulting positions are the following
( - y, y, z)
(y + 1/2 , - y + 1/2 , z + 1/2 )
( - y + 1/2 , y + 1/2 , - z + 1/2 )
(y, - y, - z)

I input the above four positions into PWSCF. I do find 8 system operations.

But the calculated bandstructure is different with the one calculated with
Full potential Code, WIEN2K.

My question is if my input atomic positions are wrong? if so, what is the
correct input for Orthorhombic cases.
If someone has the successful experiences in Orthorhombic structure
calculation using PWSCF, please share with me. I will highly appreciate
your help.

Best Regards

Yanming Ma PhD
Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences,
National Research Councils of Canada.
100 Sussex
K1A 0R6