[Pw_forum] For B pseudopotential

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Mon Aug 4 14:16:35 CEST 2003

A few comments

a) About machine dependency (excluding presence of bugs in the code):
1) eigenvectors of non-degenerate eigenvalues are defined up to a phase
factor
2) eigenvectors of degenerate eigenvalues are defined up to a unitary
rotation in the degenerate subspace
3) different machines/diagonalization routines may choose a different
phase factors or unitary transformation
among the infinit number of  legittimate choises.

b) About bond charge models:
1) Bond charge models have been fitted to experimental frequencies, not
to eigenvectors. These happen to be poorly described by the model if
compared with ab-initio results. This is certainly true for GaAs but I
bet it is so also for Ge.
2) Paolo Giannozzi worked several years ago about re-fitting bond charge
parameters to a ab-initio eigenvalues AND eigenvectors, maybe he still
has some data about that.

Stefano de Gironcoli