[Pw_forum] Phonon calculation, but inexact atomic coordinates

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Thu Dec 19 09:56:33 CET 2002

DFPT compute the phonon frequency from the curfature of the total energy

with respect to atomic positions. The fact that the atomic configuration
is
not exactly the equilibrium one will modify the curvature but should not

induce additional errors.

How much the frequency are modified ? I think that one can estimate the
effect
from gruneisen parameters which are tipically of order unit... that is a
change (or error)
in volume of 1% will induce a change in frequency of 1% ... or
converting this
number in terms of bond-lengths I would say that a change in bonding
distance
by 1% would give a produce a change in the frequency by 3%.

Therefore, provided the relaxation run determine the equilibrium
structural properties
within a fraction of % I would be rather confident on the resulting
phonon frequencies.

regards

Stefano de Gironcoli