[Thermo_pw-forum] example04

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Sun Jan 1 18:39:35 CET 2023

Dear Prof. Dal Corso,

Hi.
I would like to express my BEST WISHES for you and your family in this NEW
YEAR 2023.

By the way, I have tried to apply example04 (phonon dispersion of Si) on
hexagonal Zr.

I have obtained the uploaded ps files of dispersion for different sets of
{(nq1=nq2, nq3)}= {(2,2), (4,3), (6,4), (8,5)} to check the convergency.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O14sgIRqsJsa1105p-WmhCcTxindljFl

The proportion of nq1:nq3 is determined by the ratio |b3|/|b1| of the
reciprocal space Bravais lattice. For the first three sets I do not see
something strange, but for (8,5) I see lots of oscillations modulated on the
dispersion curve.

My experience says that it originates from fitting a "high-order polynomial"
to a small number of data points(?!). May I get better curves if I reduce
the "128 128 128" values in thermo_control?

Please give me an advice on the uploaded results.

Best regards,

Mahmoud Payami

NSTRI, AEOI, Tehran, Iran

Email: mpayami at aeoi.org.ir