[QE-developers] PBEsol-paw pps

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon Jan 22 21:46:04 CET 2024

Dear Manisha,

also, to add to Paolo - what you need are accurate pseudopotentials, not
necessarily PAW. PAW is needed to do, e.g., NMR (using the GIPAW
method); in all other cases, it can be a very accurate and
computationally inexpensive approach, but you can have good or bad ones,
as you can have good and bad ultrasoft or norm-conserving pseudopotentials.

Also note that your sentence "I used PBE-PAW but for better accuracy for
solids, I used PBesol functional but USPP pps. It gave me reduced values
of polarisation than PBE-PAW. I am sure PBesol-PAW would work fine." is
a bit mixed up.

All-electron calculations with PBE or PBEsol will give different results
- not evident which one is closer to reality. Pseudopotential
calculations (norm-conserving, ultrasford, PAW) in principle should give
the same results of all-electron calculations, but they might not,
depending on how good or bad the pseudo is.

Here is a good summary of the topic:

				nicola