[QE-developers] Reduced mass and force constant

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Sep 6 16:12:01 CEST 2022

I wonder if you can elaborate on what is the reduced mass you are
looking for....

I know what is the matrix of interatomic forces, i know what atomic
masses are, i know what is the dynamical matrix, I know what are the
eigenvectors and how to obtain the ones from the others. QE computes all
these either via ph.x or its partners q2r.x, matdyn.x, dynmat.x ...

I know how to obtain the reduced mass in an isolated dimer or for the
optical branches at gamma for a 2-atom/cell solid.

for a general mode in a general crystal, if you can provide a definition
in terms of well defined quantities i'm sure QE (or you from QE output)
can compute it.

HTH

stefano