[QE-developers] Problem to install Quantum Expresso on Mac M1 chip

Tommy Nguyen tung.nguyen98 at huskers.unl.edu
Fri Jul 16 19:24:41 CEST 2021

Dear Paolo,

I apologize for not explaining what I did. I tried to follow an instruction on gitlab.com/QEF/q-e

After downloading q-e-qe-6.7.0 on my Mac M1, I open the folder and type ./configure CPP="gcc -E" and let it configure itself.
Then, in the make.inc file, I uncomment the TOPDIR line (TOPDIR = /Users/my-directory/q-e-qe-6.7.0).
After that, I typed make all and waited until it finished. I got an error showing that make[1]: *** [libqefft.a] Error 1 & make: *** [libftt] Error 1. It is more likely Warning: Type mismatch between actual argument at (1) and actual argument at (2 (REAL(8)/COMPLEX(8)).
Then I typed make install. I received a message that Quantum Expresso binaries are installed in /usr/local/bin.
Finally, I decided to run an example for a quick test by going to example01 folder and run ./run_example. I got an error message showing that ERROR: /Users/my-directory/q-e-qe-6.7.0/bin/pw.x not existent or not executable. Aborting.

Regarding the error, I was thinking that I might have missed any packages/directories that caused an error.

In case I typed make -j8 all and make install, I got a message showing that cp: /usr/local/bin/upfconv.x and virtual_v2.x : permission denied.

I have been trying to search the installation on the forum and google to see what other people did but most of them showed on UbuntuOS and Intel-based chip Mac, so I could not fix my error. Thus, I would be much appreciated to have the problems got fixed.

Sincerely,
Tommy