[QE-developers] Interfacing MBD library to QEspresso

Hsin-Yu Ko hk945 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 17 14:10:25 CET 2020

Dear All,

I just wanted to add to this thread some more details: We forked the
official QEF/q-e repo and followed closely the currently implemented
`ts_vdw` (Tkatchenko-Scheffler van der Waals) procedure.

The issue that we could really use your help is in the `configure` and the
new `cmake` building mechanism. What we currently have is the below (following
FoX library mechanism):
1. We (manually) download the most recent release of the `libmbd` to
`archive/` as a tarball
2. We add `libmbd` build procedures (added as a dependency of `mods`)  as
`libfox` in `Makefile` and `install/extlibs_makefile`
3. We append the include/library paths to `IFLAGS`/`LD_LIBS` in `install/
make.inc.in`.

By doing so, it seems to build no problem from our local machines. However,
there is an issue when we use it in the GitLab pipeline. The issue is that
`libmbd` depends on `cmake` which is not present in the docker image. As
such, we had to include the cmake installation in the `.gitlab-cl.yml`
file. We also noticed that there is a new `build:cmake-gnu` pipeline. Since
there seems to be some tendency of moving to `cmake`, we were wondering if
we could ask for some advice on the how to proceed. Thank you!

Best Regards,
Hsin-Yu

--
Hsin-Yu Ko