[QE-developers] Problem of the momentum matrix element at the Gamma point

L Y xifntx at gmail.com
Sun May 17 10:51:54 CEST 2020

Dear Paolo,

Thank you for the quick response and pointing me in a direction!
I see that in "compute_ppsi.f90", the subroutines "gen_us_dj" and
"gen_us_dy" are called, inside of which the derivatives of the spherical
Bessel and spherical harmonics are calculated. I think the Gamma point is
special in the sense that it is the only point that can satisfy k+G=0, so I
thought perhaps the problem could be due to "dvkb" and "dvkb1" being
treated inaccurately at k+G=0. I checked that in "compute_ppsi.f90", for
k+G=0, the array "work(ig,:)=dvkb1(ig,:)+dvkb(ig,:)*gk(ipol,ig)" is zero.
The second term is obviously zero due to |k+G|=0, but I cannot see why
"dvkb1(ig,:)" is zero.
I think I am abit too inexperienced with the theory and code to find the
"bug", I only pieced together part of the puzzle by looking at Iurii's
thesis Sec 6.13. I dunno if anyone has time to look at this problem? I
think in my emerging physical discipline (attosecond strong-field physics
in solids), the correct calculation of the momentum matrix elements will be
needed alot in the future (to be used in the TDSE or time-dependent
density-matrix equations). But maybe this is not so urgent at the moment,
since only the Gamma point is an issue, so I can just circumvent this by
not choosing that point.

Best regards,
Lun Yue
Louisiana State University