[QE-developers] Madelung constant values in Makov-Payne correction

Jacob Williams jacob.z.williams at duke.edu
Mon Jul 20 04:07:07 CEST 2020

Dear Pietro,

Thank you very much for your help. I was able to supply the last remaining detail missing from my understanding, which I write here in case it is useful for anybody in future.

In a simple cubic unit cell, the cube root of the cell volume, (omega) is equal to the length of the primitive lattice vectors (alat) and the side of the corresponding cell (alat again), so the Madelung constants are equivalent under all these length parameters. The other two cubic unit cells do not share this equivalence. The Lento et al. reference (hence QE’s Makov-Payne routine) uses L = omega^(1/3), while the Dabo et al. reference uses L = alat.

In an fcc unit cell, the volume of the primitive cell is (alat^3)/4, and as expected the Madelung constant where L = omega^(1/3) is smaller in magnitude than the constant where L = alat by a factor of 4^(1/3).
Likewise, in a bcc unit cell, the volume of the primitive cell is (alat^3)/2, and the L = omega^(1/3) constant is smaller than the L = alat constant by a factor of 2^(1/3).

Thanks again and have a nice day!

Sincerely yours,

Jacob Williams
PhD Student, Yang group