[QE-developers] reading namelist error

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 11:44:55 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 3:22 PM Zan Yang <yangz163 at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

I'm now using quantum espresso v6.2 on windows 10 (parallel). When running
> bands.exe, the program crashed

[...]
     reading bands namelist
> [...]
> &BANDS
>      outdir = './outdir'
>      prefix = 'GeTe'
>      filband = 'GeTebands.dat'
> /
>
> I've tried
> (1)using "-inp inputfile"

in the output you showed, you were running OpenMP,  not MPI
parallelization, so this is not useful

(2)changing "BANDS" into "bands"

namelists are case-insensitive

> (3)changing "&BANDS" into "&input"

no, it's &bands

(4)delete all the blanks

blanks are ignored. Unless they are not blanks ... characters that are not
what they look, or that you do not see, are a frequent source of trouble
with namelists. Beware in particular quotes.

(5)running on other machine

always Windows?

(6)running on linux

v.6.2 works for me with your input on linux and (old) intel compiler. Just
tried.

(7)even copy others successful code (with permission) to run the test
> but none of the methods work, I kept getting this error.
> Please help me to solve this problem.

namelists can be tricky. Try an empty namelist (it will give an error but a
different one). Try old-style namelist  syntax: &bands ... &. Leave an
empty line at the end (lack of it is also sometimes a source of trouble).

Paolo