[QE-developers] fractional translations

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 12:30:05 CET 2019

Hi Davide, there is no need for group theory and symmetry here, it's a
simple programming matter. Previously, there were two versions of the
fractional translation: the original one, "ftau", integer, contained
fractional translations multiplied by FFT dimensions nr1,nr2,nr3; "ft",
real, contained the true fractional translations in crystal axis. "ftau"
was introduced (many years ago) because it provided real-space FFT indices
for the single place where fractional translations were actually used:
real-space symmetrization. Things have become more complex since. The
existence of two copies of the same variables had become confusing.
Moreover, I think that symmetry-related variables should be disentangled
from FFT grids.

Just use "ft", or introduce a local "ftau" variable if convenient. An
example: look for ftau in PW/src/exx_base.f90

Paolo