[QE-developers] Local-density-dependent Thomas Fermi screening mixing

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Apr 3 09:51:11 CEST 2019

Dear Phani,

    there is no Journal reference for the local-TF scheme.

    if one assumes that the error in self-consistency is small enough
that the linear regime applies then

    \delta n_inp = \chi \chi_0^-1 \Delta n_I/O     or chi^-1 \delta
n_inp = chi_0^-1 \Delta n_I/O

    where \delta n_inp is the error in the input density (the error that
you want to correct) and \Delta n_I/O = n_inp - n_out is the difference
between input and output densities (that one has access to in the
calculation).

   chi_0 is the non-interacting electron density response function of
the system and chi the interacting electron one, linked to the previous
by the Dyson equation \chi = \chi_0 + \chi_0 ( v_c + f_xc ) \chi  or,
equivalently, \chi^-1 = \chi_0^-1 - (v_c + f_xc) where v_c is the
Coulomb kernel and f_xc the exchange-correlation one (neglected in the
following).

   in the TF context chi_0^-1 =  \partial V_KS/ \partial n = -
\partial^2 T[n]_TF / \partial n^2  \propto   n(r)^(-1/3)

   so using this approximation for \chi_0^-1 and iteratively solving
(with some not too strict threshold) the linear system one gets an
estimate for \delta n_inp from \Delta n_I/O

   best

stefano