[Q-e-developers] gitlab

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Fri Nov 10 21:27:45 CET 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 07:40:41PM +0100, Nicola Marzari wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 11:04, Samuel Poncé wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > My guess is that the main reason is that GitLab is Ukrainian vs US for
> > GitHub and that GitLab is free and open source.
> >
> > Its has slower access time for me through (sometimes takes 10 solid
> > seconds before getting the webpage).
> >
> > When is the official move planned (i.e. commit to SVN are not accepted
> > anymore) ?
> >
> > Best,
> > Samuel
>
> github is also free, and with private repositories, if you ask and
> mention the educational status. anyhow, great to move to git - I just
> think we should also have considered that many in the community
> are already familiar and registered with github.

The main difference is that you can host gitlab yourself (if you want),
though nowadays that might be somewhat involved due to the Docker
integration and whatnot.

If you plan to use a hosted service, there's probably not a huge
difference between github and gitlab so going where most of the
developers already are makes sense.

The main issue might be that neither provide some mailing-list like
discussion forum, as the forge does/did.

Michael