[Q-e-developers] gitlab

Samuel Poncé samuel.pon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 11:04:19 CET 2017

Dear all,

My guess is that the main reason is that GitLab is Ukranian vs US for
GitHub and that GitLab is free and open source.

Its has slower access time for me through (sometimes takes 10 solid seconds
before getting the webpage).

When is the official move planned (i.e. commit to SVN are not accepted
anymore) ?

Best,
Samuel

On 9 November 2017 at 18:02, Nicola Marzari <nicola.marzari at epfl.ch> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> just to understand - is it that we will have QE on a public git
> repository, and hosted by gitlab, removing the svn for good?
>
> If the case:
>
> 1) fantastic that we have it on git, finally
>
> 2) why gitlab? I know it's good, but it has a much much smaller
> basin than github, and everyone in the community is already accredited
> with github and familiar with it
>
> Anyhow, 1) is more important than 2), but are there reasons to have
> chosen gitlab over github?
>
>                                 nicola
>

> On 08/11/2017 22:34, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:
> > https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e. Not sure it is already public.
> >
> > Paolo
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Miguel Carvajal
> > <krvajal.miguelangel at gmail.com <mailto:krvajal.miguelangel at gmail.com>>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     So,
> >     following the track, where is the gitlab repo?
> >
> >     Best,
> >
> >     Miguel Carvajal - Instituto Balseiro - Bariloche
> >     [+54] 2944782429 <tel:+54%20294%20478-2429> (tel) / krvajal.miguel
> >     (skype)
> >     LinkedIn: in/krvajal
> >
> >     On Nov 8, 2017, 18:19 -0300, Paolo Giannozzi
> >     <paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it <mailto:paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it>>, wrote:
> >>     I think so, we are going to move the development to gitlab.
> >>
> >>     The repository on github is a mirror of svn (hand-made since the
> >>     mirroring script seems to be dead for good) and will likely become
> >>     a mirror of gitlab. One may do a pull request (it works, somebody
> >>     did) that will not be pulled. I know nothing about github issues:
> >>     I have enough issues to deal with even without those of github :-)
> >>
> >>     Paolo
> >>
> >>     On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Miguel Carvajal
> >>     <krvajal.miguelangel at gmail.com
> >>     <mailto:krvajal.miguelangel at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>         I am aware of this GitHub repo that is kind of official
> >>         https://github.com/QEF/q-e
> >>         but it does not allow pull request and the issues section is
> >>         also disabled.
> >>         I would be nice to have at least the issue section available
> >>         to allow discussion about the implementation and the source
> >>         code itself because looking through a pile of emails to find
> >>         some info it a bit tedious and cumbersome and we have better
> >>         and modern tools at our disposal.
> >>         That just my opinion and is not by any mean the opinion of the
> >>         q-e developer's core team.
> >>
> >>         Best regards,
> >>
> >>         Lic. Miguel Carvajal - Instituto Balseiro - Bariloche
> >>
> >>         [+54] 2944782429 <tel:+54%20294%20478-2429>  (tel) /
> krvajal.miguel (skype)
> >>
> >>         LinkedIn:in/krvajal <https://www.linkedin.com/in/krvajal/>
> >>

> >>         On Nov 8, 2017, 13:35 -0300, Davide Ceresoli
> >>         <davide.ceresoli at cnr.it <mailto:davide.ceresoli at cnr.it>>,

> >>     --
> >>     Paolo Giannozzi, Dip. Scienze Matematiche Informatiche e Fisiche,
> >>     Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 208, 33100 Udine, Italy
> [...]

    Dr. Samuel Poncé
    Department of Materials
    University of Oxford
    Parks Road