[Q-e-developers] QE I/O default

Ye Luo xw111luoye at gmail.com
Thu May 25 16:33:47 CEST 2017

Hi Paolo,

I noticed yesterday that the wf_collect is set true as default. Probably
you already had a lot of discussion on your side but I have a few questions.

Do we have confident that wf_collect will not add significant of time on
large simulations?
Is the performance good on both lustre and GPFS file system? I didn't have
much experience with the recent added hdf5 feature. Does the WF collect use
parallel collective I/O? or like the old fasion collect the WF on the
master and write by it. Is the performance good? Measured bandwidth?

On the machines I use, the GPFS has 8 aggregators by default and PIO
performance is better than creating individual files. The lustre does the
opposite and has only 1 OST by default and thus write sequentially with
PIO. Writing individual files becomes faster. Of course you can tune both
of them, just very tricky.

Do QE still create the file per MPI rank from the beginning? 4k empty file
is a bit slow to create and pain to 'ls'. When I do DFT+U basically the
number of files doubles or triples I don't remember exactly.

PS: In the past, I had the experience that QE was not able to ready its own
collected WF when the record (using IOTK) is very large >100GB. Not
collecting the WF was the preferred way for me. It should not be a problem
with hdf5 since the dataset is per band and much smaller.

Thanks,
Ye
Ye Luo, Ph.D.
Leadership Computing Facility