[Q-e-developers] 'mpif.h' vs. 'include mpi' and regression tests

Filippo SPIGA filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
Thu Jan 5 00:04:14 CET 2017

On Jan 4, 2017, at 3:54 PM, Paul Kapinos <kapinos at itc.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Well, we (the support) can burden ours with Yet Another Toolchain (also I would like omit this need), but our experience is - you cannot assume the users will do.
>
> Remember: we have a multi-user environment. Yes we have some 100 to 200 users logged into a node simultaneously. Say Mr X start his pretty-serial 'make all; make test-suite; make run-tests-parallel', these write something to /tmp/save/..., and then Ms Y also try to do this in hers $HOME on the same front end node.... Bang!
>
> To be clear: writing to a some hard-coded path shared by all (100s of) users on a node, is VERY_BAD_THING. Really. Believe me (or not, your choice).

I believe in a recent commit we made a change to soft a bit this "hard path". It is possible to customize the file ENVIRONMENT and set a random directory name for each tests-suite execution under /tmp and then run each test in a sub-directory so multiple test (of multiple users) can run in parallel.

There is a bit of scripting to do but it is totally feasible*. However I personally would like to keep things simple while we are still rolling out test-suite to all QE packages: run one test after the other (unless you are in "submission mode", not yet supported). Randomizing the directory name under /tmp (e.g. "tmp/${random_string}/save") is enough to allow multiple users running test-suite on the same login node.

--
Filippo SPIGA ~ Quantum ESPRESSO Foundation ~ http://www.quantum-espresso.org