[Q-e-developers] ppc64 and xlc vs. gfortran

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sat Sep 24 13:23:30 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 01:14:57PM +0200, Filippo Spiga wrote:
> On 24 Sep 2016, at 12:37, Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org> wrote:
> > So QE assumes XLC to be used on ppc64, but gfortran appears to be a
> > valid choice to me as well.
>
> Yes it is but which has priority, IBM compilers or GNU compilers? Or
> GNU is only when XLC/XLF are not available?

I can't say which has priority, but I'd say GNU should at least work if
XLC/XLF are not available.

The way it is currently is that -D__XLF gets set unconditionally. Well,
"try_dflags" gets set to it, but I guess it's difficult to prove -D__XLF
doesn't work on GNU, superfluous defines don't hurt, the problem are
#ifdefs using them in an unintended way.

> I have no platform where to try the GNU alternative at the moment. If
> you have a patch for this case I can incorporate it.

I can patch out the 'try_dflags="-D__XLF' and report back whether the
build works fine next time a package is uploaded to Debian.

But I don't have a good patch to actually make it autodetect and do the
right things in configure, at this point.

Michael