[Q-e-developers] bug image parallelization in PHonon

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at mpsd.mpg.de
Fri Sep 23 16:45:35 CEST 2016

I meanwhile had a discussion with Lorenzo Paulatto about a similar problem.

I think that it might be a rather specific problem. As soon as I
parallelize only over
q points using start_q and last_q there is no problem - also for restarting.

Using images I can, in principle, even create the full dvscf files,
without having to
rerun the calculation without images, using split and cat on the
different dvscf files
in the different temp folders. It's tedious but it works. Yet, in future
I will use only
the parallelization over q points for the calculation of the dvscf.

In summary, the parallelization for PH is not straightforward and I
think that it
might help to store, e.g., the dvscf files for different representations
separately.
But Lorenzo mentioned that system administrators complain if the number of
written files is large... It could be helpful if there would be a kind
of summary
what can be done using images and what not... I.e. dvscf (and el-ph)
does not
work if image parallelization is used, especially if the different
representations
of one q point are split across different images. For el-ph the code
does not
start, but maybe a similar check can be added for the dvscf files?

Well, or maybe not, I don't know :)

email: Thomas.Brumme at mpsd.mpg.de