[Q-e-developers] Saving complex data for restarts

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:56:40 CEST 2016

You mean: "restarting from an incomplete calculation", or "saving data at
the end of a completed calculation?" In the first case: it depends a lot
upon what you need to save and how and when it is computed. The current
logic of restart in pw.x is described in sect. 6.2, "Restart", of the
developer guide. Unfortunately loops on nuclear positions still follow a
slightly different logic, but they also write a file holding restart
information (a different one per algorithm!). You may consider adding your
data to one (or more than one) of the mentioned files. Use formatted
read/write with free format unless you have a large amount of data to write.

Paolo