[Q-e-developers] lsym in projwfc.x

Guido Fratesi guido.fratesi at unimi.it
Fri Nov 25 10:35:24 CET 2016

Dear QE-developers,

the flag "lsym" in projwfc.x turns ON/OFF (default: ON) the
symmetrization of the atomic states.

If .false., the partialdos is not computed. While this check is
generally necessary to compute the DOS integrated on the full BZ by
performing the summation only over the irreducible one, it is too
restrictive when computing the DOS in special cases.

In particular, if you want to compute the bands of a system that has
some symmetry (e.g. px=py for a square lattice) that is not retained by
the k-point path for example from k=(0,0,0) to k=(1/2,0,0). In that
case, lsym=.true. would produce the same result for px and py also at
k/=(0,0,0). To disentangle them, it is sufficient to remove the
check(*). This applies to the case "kresolveddos=.true".

Practically, my tiny suggestion is to replace the check "IF (lsym) THEN"
in PP/src/projwfc.f90 with "IF (lsym .OR. kresolveddos) THEN"

      ELSE IF ( lsym .OR. kresolveddos ) THEN
         IF (noncolin) THEN
            CALL partialdos_nc (Emin, Emax, DeltaE, kresolveddos, filpdos)
         ELSE
            CALL partialdos (Emin, Emax, DeltaE, kresolveddos, filpdos)
         ENDIF
      ENDIF

and to change the specification of the variable in the input file
PP/Doc/INPUT_PROJWFC.def  as:

if .true. the projections are symmetrized and partial density of states computed.
if .false. the projections are symmetrized; partial density of state are computed only in the k-resolved case.

On the contrary, I still don't see a case where one would set
lsym=.false., kresolveddos=.false., and still like to compute the
partial DOS.

Kind regards,

Guido

(*) alternatively, one could remove the symmetry by straining the
lattice. I tested it by taking a square lattice, lsym=.false., and the
same strained by 0.01% and the results are indeed equivalent.

--
Guido Fratesi

Dipartimento di Fisica
Universita` degli Studi di Milano