[Q-e-developers] 'mpif.h' vs. 'include mpi' and regression tests

Paul Kapinos kapinos at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Nov 22 19:42:53 CET 2016

Hi all,

On 11/22/16 15:05, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:
> The executables in "test-suite" should write to $ESPRESSO_TMPDIR, which is
> defined in test-suite/ENVIRONMENT:
>    export ESPRESSO_TMPDIR=/tmp/save/
> If more instances of test-suite are run by the same user, a mess will result,

Oh, what a mess!
Hard-coding of the same path effectively prohibit the possibility of running
multiple instances of test on a node at same time - that's also what we have seen.

> for sure. Not sure how to set $ESPRESSO_TMPDIR to a unique value in a simple way.

Well, you can
- use a subpath of ESPRESSO_ROOT
- use (a subpath of) $TMP envvar which is often set in 'good' environments, e.g.
"export ESPRESSO_TMPDIR=$TMP/tmp/save/"  will work for both cases when $TMP is
set and when not (in latter case as failback to current state)
- use '$$' aka PID if actual shell as distinguisher...
- very likely, do a lot of much more intelligent things.

But: my try to change ESPRESSO_TMPDIR horribly failed as at first stage you have
to test-suite directory and when I changed ESPRESSO_TMPDIR after first 'make
test-suite' the subsequent calls lead to all-failure (due to not found some
stuff - yes ESPRESSO_TMPDIR has been changed!).

Well, up to this time the only workaround is to run the tests one-by-one for
each instance of QE compiled. It is up to developer of QE to change (ot not to
change) this situation.

Have a nice day,

Paul Kapinos

--
Dipl.-Inform. Paul Kapinos   -   High Performance Computing,
RWTH Aachen University, IT Center