[Q-e-developers] Compilation of QE with PGI 15

Martin Schlipf martin.schlipf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:05:02 CEST 2016

Investigating a bit more, I think the issue is related to autoconf.
Since version 2.64, autoconf expands commands before the file that
requires them
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Expanded-Before-Required

In this particular case, AC_PROG_FC is expanded before the rest of
X_AC_QE_MPIF90. As a consequence there is a large additional part in the
code directly after
# Checking MPIF90...
but before the search for the compilers with try_f90.

The problem is that the additional parts include a different search for
a compiler with a different order. Instead of ifort, pgf90, nagfor, ...,
gfortran, it checks for gfortran first. Hence, it doesn't come to the
point where it would check for pgf90.

I don't know how to fix the issue in autoconf, but one can delete the
additional lines in the resulting configure file and then the PGI
compiler works.

-Martin