[Q-e-developers] qe package

Adrian Hühn adrian.huehn at thch.uni-bonn.de
Sun Aug 21 21:23:29 CEST 2016

 > what exactly differs from what?

The paths in the documentation always refer to the directory hierarchy
in the source tarball but the in the installation script the
dokumentation and examples where manually put elsewhere in /usr/share,
while binaries where put to /usr/bin. This way also the example scripts
where broken. Still this was more of a personal problem.

>> Another reason to put more stuff in the main tgz is that some (most?)
>> computing centers disallow direct Internet connection from the ssh
>> nodes, which causes the auto download to fail
>>
> computing centers should solve problems instead of creating them.
This problem is also resolved by simply putting the missing tarballs to
espresso/archive.

> I am personally happy with the current packaging, but not so happy to
> rule out other options, as long as this doesn't interfere with more
> urgent things to be done in the next days or weeks in view of the release.
The packaging is fine if one is familiar with it. Yet it lacks a simple
deployment, like
     $ .configure --prefix=$PREFIX ; make ; make install
As far as I know with the install target, all executables are copied to
'$PREFIX/'. I think it would be beneficial to fully utilize the install
target i.e. install executables to $PREFIX/bin and documentation (and
examples) to $PREFIX/usr/share/espresso.