[Q-e-developers] qe package

Adrian Hühn adrian.huehn at thch.uni-bonn.de
Thu Aug 18 12:34:57 CEST 2016

Hello,

I hope, I am not impudent if I interfere your discussion but maybe I can
contribute with my personal perspective as newcomer (I used QE for my
master thesis last year and was on my own, as nobody in my workgroup
actually uses it). Before I built QE for the first time manually, I took
a build script from the community of Arch Linux (the script automates
built and installation to common bin and lib paths). So it made several
days of fiddling as the installation directories and the paths in the
documentation differ. I end up only using the built directory and never
install via "make install".

I think that it would be beneficial if the packaging is more close to a
layout typically found in Linux distributions, i.e. separating source
code, documentation and examples. I see several advantages to this:
- people familiar with Linux/UNIX but new to QE would have a much
smoother learning curve
- package maintainers have an easier way to set up installation directories
- file path in the documentation would be more consistent for "regular"
linux package

Regards,
Adrian