[Q-e-developers] qe package

Filippo Spiga filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
Thu Aug 18 11:13:54 CEST 2016

I am *PERSONALLY* aligned with Nicola's way of thinking. A single package would simplify a lot, including the perception to the public about what QE is and what is part of QE distribution. We can continue to have third-part packages following this "on-demand" model (West? EPW? SaX?) but NEB, PH, TDDFT and others packages that exist since ages can be collected under the same umbrella.

I have always believed that the reason we had many packages is to avoid a monolithic heavy distribution. Based on what I see, the core source code is not "that big" in size.

I personally see some beauty and some practicality in changing the packaging process. The 6.0 will continue to follow the current process unless the majority of contributors agree differently. But because 6.0 is going to introduce already some new stuff, I personally think this is a good time to review the packaging process as well.

Just my 2 cents ...

--
Filippo SPIGA
* Sent from my iPhone, sorry for typos *