[Q-e-developers] Quantum ESPRESSO v5.4, release scheduled Friday April 29th

Filippo SPIGA filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
Sat Apr 2 12:26:59 CEST 2016

Hello QE developers!

We are going to package and release Quantum ESPRESSO v5.4 on Friday April 29th.

Please Please Please:
- make sure you commit everything you have to commit by the weekend before (23~24 April)
- make sure to _do not_ commit anything at the last very moment
- make sure to _do not_ commit anything that has not been tested properly (meaning, if you have the latest and greatest method or improvement to include do it NOW or wait after this release)
- make sure you have test-cases for your packages and these test-cases are in order and updated (I will include as much as I can in the test-suite by the release date)
- if you develop an external package which has dependencies from core modules of QE then make sure your code is aligned with current SVN and it also compiles and runs successfully both serial and parallel otherwise we will not include it in the v5.4 release

Going forward we are going to drop the idea of the "X.Y.Z" numbering in favor of a more simple "X.Y". The reason is that lot of contributions are pushed into the repository all the time, sometimes are bug fixes and sometimes are new stuff. There is no way to isolate contributions for a bug-fix only minor release "Z+1"because inevitably the code always contains something new. So we drop the "Z" number once for all. Documentation will reflect this change.

After v5.4, the following release is going to be v6.0 at beginning of September. It is going to be a major version because of convergency of several planned developments done in the context of the MaX EU Centre of Excellence. As result of moving to v6.0 (new major release), backward compatibility to v5.x may or may not be maintained.

For anything concerning v5.4 please get in touch with me and Paolo Giannozzi.

Have a nice weekend!

--
Mr. Filippo SPIGA, M.Sc.
Quantum ESPRESSO Foundation

*****
Disclaimer: "Please note this message and any attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorized recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of any error in transmission."